THE QUEEN’S YOUNG LEADERS AWARDS SCHEME
We’re looking to award exceptional young people who’ve proved themselves to be inspiring leaders in their communities. Many of whom will have overcome challenges in their lives to do so.
This unique, life-changing Award is comprised of a tailored package of training and mentoring. Winners will also receive a one-week residential programme in the UK, during which they will receive their Award from Her Majesty The Queen.
With this support, Award winners will be expected to continue and develop the amazing work they are already doing in their communities.
Applications to become a 2018 Queen’s Young Leader are open from 29th June – 21st August 2017.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Each application/nomination must meet the following criteria:
Applicants need to have proven experience of working to improve their communities locally, regionally or at a national level and be able to show evidence of their achievements. Applicants must be aged between 18 and 29 throughout 2018; your date of birth must fall between 1st January 1989 – 1st January 2000;
- Applicants need to have proven experience of working to improve their communities locally, regionally or at a national level and be able to show evidence of their achievements.
- Applicants must be aged between 18 and 29 throughout 2018; your date of birth must fall between 1st January 1989 – 1st January 2000;
- Applicants must be citizens of and working in a Commonwealth country or citizens of an Overseas Territories (of a Commonwealth Member).
- Applicants need to demonstrate evidence of their leadership qualities.
- All applicants need to be supported by a suitable referee (a professional in one of the following occupations; a teacher or counsellor; a registered physician or nurse; a church or community leader; social worker or family services; or business leader). Referees must not be related to you.
- Priority will be given to individuals who have overcome challenges to achieve their goals.
All applications/nominations will be considered based on the young person’s achievements to date as well as their potential and future ambition. Award winners will be shortlisted by an Advisory Panel made up of young people from across the Commonwealth and a Board of advisors representing the three partners. The shortlist for Award winners will then be presented to The Queen’s Young Leaders Programme Board, which contains members from all three partner organisations, for final selection and decision.
WHAT WILL AN AWARD WINNER RECEIVE?
As a Queen’s Young Leader you will be allocated a mentor with relevant experience and expertise who will support you over the course of the year to continue and develop your work.
- Online learning
Online learning will be provided with materials relevant to your area of interest, as well as serving as a place for you to meet and share experiences and knowledge with other Queen’s Young Leaders. The online training course, ‘Leading Change’ is a year-long programme that leads you through topics including leadership, marketing, management and entrepreneurship as well as those vital skills such as time management, confidence building and stress relief. You’ll speak to experts from around the world and learn from case studies of other global young leaders.
- One-week residential programme in the UK
The 60 Award winners will have the opportunity to meet with inspiring people and visit organisations in the UK that have expertise in areas such as media and communications, social action and advocacy. During this week, Awards will be presented by Her Majesty The Queen at Buckingham Palace.
Be a part of our growing community and get first hand information on training and opportunities for female entrepreneurs. Sign up here